Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Working Student Brigitte Aickelin Looks Forward to 2014!


2012 was a tough year for me and my Prelim eventer, Chip, who was having issues on the flat and wasn’t progressing.  I needed to find a training program which would help us improve, and that’s how I ended up applying for a working student position at Blue Hill Farm.  I sent my resume and before I knew it, I was moving from Georgia to Pennsylvania in the dead of winter. Which might I add wasn’t the smartest decision because it is SO much colder here than in  Georgia.  Regardless, I have been at Blue Hill since January 2013 and have loved every minute of it!
Chip
I have learned so much from both Jessica and Missy during my time here. They helped me make the tough decision to retire Chip from upper level Eventing in early fall of this year.  I made the long trek back to Georgia to get his half brother, Harper, to become my new training project. Harper is 4 years old, and so far is progressing quickly and loving every minute of learning the ropes of eventing. I’ve had him in training for 2 months and we are learning everything about each other, one day at a time.
Harper
My 2013 show season didn’t go as planned since Chip was not progressing, and during that time I rode Blue Hill horses, Harry and Margarita, in dressage shows. Harry taught me a ton as far as fixing my position and Margarita and I learned the ropes together. My plan is to finish this year strong on Harper and do some schooling shows before it gets too cold. 
Harper learning to jump!
2014 I plan to be competitive at the Beginner Novice and Novice level in the spring and early summer before moving up to Training by the fall of 2014. I hope to be able to go to Ocala for a month or two this winter, to compete and hone my skills so I can be really competitive in Area 2 in the spring and summer.
Even though 2013 was a tough year for me, I plan to finish it out strong and with a huge smile on my face. I know 2014 will be bigger and better; it can only lead to great things for my future competitions and my eventing career. I couldn’t have done any of it without the help of the BHF crew, my friends and most importantly, my family. Here’s to a great 2014 competition season!

No comments:

Post a Comment