Friday, February 14, 2014

David's Reflections From Down South!

Many thanks to David for this wonderful blog submission.  We can't wait to follow you and all the riders at BHF on their quest for personal best in 2014!!

Candid of David & Jess
Photo Credit Ashley Holzer
"As I enjoy the more seasonable weather in Ocala, I wonder why anyone thought Aiken would be a good place to winter.  Let's also not forget our friends who remain in Pennsylvania at BHF, who are just now digging out from another big winter storm!

Watching the Winter Olympics, I started thinking about my own Olympic quest.  Certainly, it started when I first sat on a horse all those years ago, but it wasn't until I came to Blue Hill Farm, 2 years ago, that I felt like I was really being directed in that route.  Between Missy and Jessica's championship successes, both as riders and coaches in Eventing, Dressage, and Para-Dressage, the barn caters to serious athletes.

There's a buzz in the air, as 2014 is going to be a very exciting year for BHF, with Becca and Gigi on fantastic new horses who are serious WEG medal contenders in the Para Dressage.  BG and Topper are headed to the Young Rider Championships, giving me the opportunity to be the first Young Rider to compete in 2 disciplines the same year!

I could not have made it here without Jessica and Missy:  Missy so graciously giving me the ride on BG, watching me muck things up along the way as he and I bonded.  Missy, always with a positive word and unwavering support, and Jessica, turning Topper and I from Eventing misfits to FEI Dressage winners.  This was no easy task I'll admit.  I could not have gotten my riding to this level without their support.

The biggest piece if advice I can give to fellow young riders, or professionals, or amateurs for that matter, is find that coach who will give you 110%.  Someone who will take pride in your successes, knowing that they helped make it happen.  In return, work hard towards your goals and appreciate all the time and effort that they have put into you!"

No comments:

Post a Comment